Friday, February 15, 2008

Nail? Meet Coffin.

The Service Employees International Union, the fastest growing labor union in the country, endorsed Barack Obama this afternoon. I can't help but believe this is a devastating and unexpected body blow to the Clinton campaign. I also find it difficult to imagine that this doesn't bode ill for Clinton in terms of a potential endorsement from Edwards. I wonder if the SEIU might not have consulted with Edwards before making their decision.

Update: I missed this, but the United Food and Commercial Workers Union endorsed Obama yesterday. Between the two unions, that's a membership of 3.2 million workers. The UFCW has 69,000 members in Ohio and 26,000 in Texas. I have no idea how union endorsements actually affect membership voting patterns, but I'll bet it sure doesn't hurt.

No comments: